Saturday, June 5, 2010

Their shelter from the storm

I was aimlessly wandering around CCP (Cultural Center of the Philippines) when I sighted what seemed to be structures amid a clump of coconut trees. So I went further to explore what looked like a park, half-expecting to sit for a while in the shade. What I found instead were bare-footed kids playing and later on people lying on cartons under the shade. And then it dawned on me that these people could be ACTUALLY living here. From afar, camouflaged by trees and foliage, I spotted makeshift tents. And more kids. I tried making conversation with Joey and Jingjing -- they won’t give me their surnames -- and learn more about the people living there. They told me there are about 200 people who live in this park Joey, a 47-year-old native of Iloilo, was the more amiable one, telling me stories about how they are able to survive through "pangangalakal" or the picking up thrown away stuff they can sell -- along Roxas Boulevard and nearby areas. According to this marker I found, the 6th ASEAN Square Sculpture Symposium was ordered built in 1989 by former Foreign Affairs secretary Raul Manglapus. Some of the sculptures produced during this gathering were put in this park right beside the Sarimanok site, the venue for the Miss Universe pageant held in the country back in 1974. Spain’s Amparo Munoz, who later became actress, won that year. I wanted to linger for a while but seeing more and more kids gathering around me begging for alms -- not to mention this suspicious -- looking character who tried to lure me to look more “statues” somewhere -- I decided to go. So then maybe it’s just fair to warn people to be extra cautious should you find yourself in this park along Roxas Boulevard, fronting Aliw Theater right beside CCP. The sculptures look interesting but in dire need of restoration. Unfortunately, I won’t guarantee that the place is safe enough for a leisurely stroll.

No comments:

Liket it? Bookmark it!

Bookmark and Share

Miss Universe and Beautiful sexy girl